If I Had 40 Thousand Dollars

I feel a bit mercenary doing this, because money isn’t the only reason I’m seeking a non-dead-end job. But while I’m crafting my online Statement of Ambition as it pertains to my career, I might as well dish out some basic metrics for what certain salaries would mean to my lifestyle; at least in Cleveland. I’ve tried to frame it so that it should be easy to see how much money I’d actually end up giving back to the community. $30k won’t get me far in NYC.

If I had a job in Cleveland that paid me $30k a year I could:

• Drink more than one beer at local bars like Edison’s and The Literary Café.
• Buy beer for my friends at aforementioned bars.
• Go out to eat at local places like Stevenson’s Hamburgers and the Lincoln Park Pub on Taco Tuesdays.
• Have an internet connection at home.

If I had a job in Cleveland that paid me $35k a year I could:

• Drink more beer at local bars, and do a Bar Crawl of the fancy places like The Velvet Tango Room and 806 for Tremonter.
• Buy more beer for my friends at aforementioned bars.
• Take girls on dates.
• Pay off my student loans twice as fast and save a bit.
• Go out to eat at local places and continue my search for the best burger in Cleveland. I could also probably eat at a fancy restaurant like Fahrenheit once or twice without having to save up for it first.
• Join Cleveland Colectivo.
• Take a programming class at Tri-C or another local college.
• Move into a larger apartment that would allow me to have a dog.
• Take a small vacation to go camping and fishing.
• Buy a small piece of art from a local artist.
• Have an internet connection at home.
• Start fencing again.

If I had a job in Cleveland that paid me $40k a year I could:

• Drink more beer at local bars.
• Buy more beer for my friends at aforementioned bars.
• Pay off my student loans thrice as fast and also save or invest a bit.
• Go out to eat at local places and continue my search for the best burger in Cleveland. I could also probably eat at a fancy restaurant and even take a girl on a date there.
• Join Cleveland Colectivo.
• Take a programming class at Tri-C or another local college.
• Buy a fixer-upper house and get a dog.
• Afford to enter Notre Dame Football Ticket lottery.
• Create a small scholarship for walk-on fencers at ND.
• Take a fun vacation someplace.
• Buy a small/medium piece of art from a local artist.
• Have an internet connection at home.
• Start fencing again.

15 thoughts on “If I Had 40 Thousand Dollars

  1. Just asking….are these net or gross #’s?

    Because I do fall in that range, but let me tell you, after Uncle Sam and the student loan companies take their share, it’s still below the 30K take-home mark.

  2. I wouldn’t say too loudly that you are an ND grad and don’t make that much. Their alumni dept will be all over you for negative publicity. Ha ha.

  3. tadvent, you sound like you are a bit jealous of Adam’s ND connection. You aren’t a BC grad or perhaps you got waitlisted in trying to get into ND? 😉

  4. Jmay –
    I never applied, however I’ve been there several times during and since college. I have a few friends that went there.

    I always got the impression that ND students/grads were pompus. My friends included. The whole we are better than the world thing. The whole, our football team is not what it could be because we have tougher education standards for atheletes. The whole we have special bricks that only we can use to build our buildings.

    Kind of always wanted to make me puke.

  5. I can see how the rabid fanaticism of ND fans could come across as snobbery, and perhaps the insulation of Catholic culture and the wealth of many of the students’ families makes them a little less engaged with the real world. I know that I was pretty tired of dealing with people who’d never been to a public school or never had to work during high school and college.

    For the most part they all mean well though.

  6. tadvent-
    Sorry you ran into the 5% of ND folks that give the other 95% a bad name. I honestly think you’ve just had some bad luck in that regard, there are always some rotten apples in every barrel.

  7. It’s cool, I’ve had some great times up there. I just have to bust your guys chops. I barely remember a few nights at the Linebacker and Senior Bar….

    I did find it strange to go up there on a road trip, it was a friday night, and the place that had the most people was the Library….

Comments are closed.